STAFF REPORT- The Gasparilla Island Magazine team took home10 awards in the 2020 Florida Magazine Association Charlie Awards, which were held virtually this year for obvious reasons.
Winners this year included:
• In the “Writing Excellence” division freelancer Dan Fisher received a bronze award for his story titled, “Mysteries of Indian Mound” in the “In-depth Reporting” category;
• In the “Writing Excellence” division Editor Marcy Shortuse and former Gasparilla Magazine writer Sue Erwin received a bronze award in the “Best Writing in a Department” category for their “Healthy Perspectives stories that included “Tennis, Anyone? A Great Sport at Any Age”; “Just Give Me Those Old-Time Remedies”; and “Microgreens: Grow Patches of Your Own Goodness.”
• Also in the “Writing Excellence” division Editor Marcy Shortuse received a silver award in the “Editor’s Letter” category.
• In the “Writing Excellence” category Erwin and Shortuse took top honors in the “headlines” category (a Charlie award);
• In the “Design Excellence” division Photographer Victoria Demore received a bronze award for her cover art portraying Misty Nabers Nichols’ horse “Opie.”
• In the “Design Excellence” division, “Best Photography: Single department image” category the bronze award went to Caroline Clabaugh for her photo of the fountain in Sam Murphy Park called “Wishing Well.”
• In the “Design Excellence” division Shortuse received a silver award for “Best Photography: Single department image” category for a photograph called “Boca Grande Sunset.”
• In the “General Excellence” division, “Best Advertisement: Self-Promotional” category Art Director Christine Cunningham received a silver award.
• Cunningham also took home a bronze award in the “General Excellence” division, “Best Advertisement for a client” category for her work on an Air Trek ad.
• In the “Best Overall Awards” division, “Best Overall Writing” category Shortuse also took a bronze award.
“These awards are important to us as an affirmation of our community’s consistent support,” said publisher Dusty Hopkins. “I am proud of our contributors and their continuous support.”
To subscribe to Gasparilla Island Magazine, call our Beacon office at (941) 964-2995.