To the Editor and all of our supporters:
More than 200 lovers of fine literature attended the past season’s Literature Forum. Able presenters and discussion leaders, including Pat Agger, Sue Fuller, Sally Brust, Hilari Fix, Charles Clarke, Anne Beatty and Ellie Crawford, brought the selected books to life by describing the history of the time periods in which they were written, the style and tone employed by the authors, the skill and beauty of the writing and the motives of the characters.
The Steering Committee and the members of the community who attend the Literature Forum thank all those who volunteer valuable time to enhance our cultural life in Boca Grande. The Forum would not be possible without the input and enthusiasm of volunteer presenters. Please consider becoming a presenter by contacting co-chairs Joan Ardrey, email@example.com, or Karen Zarse, firstname.lastname@example.org. Being a presenter is easy, fun and rewarding. Try it, you’ll like it!
After screening and discussing scores of books, the Steering Committee has selected the following works of fiction, covering a wide range of subjects and writing styles.
- Thursday, Nov. 7: “The Mercy Seat” by Elizabeth Winthrop; presented by Sandy Jacobs.
- Thursday, Dec. 5: “Industry of Souls” by Martin Booth. Presented by David and Stephanie Williams.
- January (dates still to be decided): After last year’s extremely well-received reading of “A View from the Bridge,” Royal Palm Players will present another dramatic reading (Jon Robin Baitz’s “Other Desert Cities”), with two performances scheduled at 5 p.m. in the Boca Grande Community Center Auditorium.
- Thursday, Feb. 6: “Arturo’s Island” by Elsa Morante and translated by Ann Goldstein, presented by Joan Ardrey and Simonetta Balzer.
- Thursday, March 5: “The End of the Affair” by Graham Greene, presented by Charles Clarke.
- Thursday, April 2: “My Michael” by renowned Israeli author Amos Oz, presented by Karen Larsen.
Meetings are scheduled for 2 p.m. in the Houghton Room of the Boca Grande Community Center.
The Literature Forum Steering Committee