A day of fishing went off on kind of a crazy tangent for a local fisherman after the Boca Grande Fire Department had to rescue him from a feeding frenzy of sharks on Wednesday, Sept. 7.
Well, it wasn’t that bad. But there were sharks there.
Steve moon, a 24-year-old man from the Fort Myers area, was fishing on a sandbar off the beach near Burnt Store Marina in Punta Gorda at about 3 p.m. when the tide came in a bit quicker than he expected. As the water got deeper, Moon started to see a small herd of sharks circling him. They were shovelhead and blacktips, he said, which were probably more interested in eating his bait than eating him, but he spent more than an hour swatting them away with his fishing pole. When he realized his phone battery was about to die, he went ahead and made the decision to call authorities.
When they got the call at 3:50 p.m., the Boca Grande Fire Department, as well as several other surrounding agencies, responded in their boat. Cape Coral got there first, but the BGFD boat was smaller and was able to respond to the shallow area where Moon was stranded.
On Sunday, Sept. 11 at 2:57 p.m., the fire department and Lee County paramedics responded to the call of an unresponsive 27-year-old male who was brought to the Range Light beach from the water where he was jet skiing.
The man was immediately brought to shore by friends, and CPR was attempted on the beach and all the way to the hospital, but he was unresponsive the whole time and never regained consciousness. He was taken to Englewood Community Hospital.
The Sarasota County Medical Examiner’s Office is still conducting an investigation as to why he died.