County narrows Gilchrist parking proposals down to three, expects to present to commissioners in April

BY MARCY SHORTUSE – We’ve reported this before, but now it looks like it may come true: Lee County Commissioners seem to have plans to move forward with some sort of Gilchrist parking proposal. There are three options on the table now, after a February 9 meeting between Assistant County Manager Doug Meurer, Department of […]

OBGBBC looking for a new book nomination

Help choose the book that the whole island will read! One Big Grande Boca Book Club, a joint project of the Johann Fust Library Foundation and Friends of the Boca Grande Community Center, is now taking nominations for the book that will be featured in next year’s program. This year’s event, which featured three books […]

Profile: Peter Roberts

BY JACK SHORT – Peter Roberts has a small town sensibility, tempered by southern hospitality. There’s also some Texan straight-shooting in there, literally and figuratively, which is something you don’t get to say very often. He grew up in Old Greenwich, Ct., hence the small town influence. But Peter went to lengths to avoid staying […]

The Bike Parade is next Saturday

Next Saturday, March 21, the morning air will be filled with the sweet smells of flowers, the birds will be singing, and the bike path will be humming with activity. It’s time for the 30th annual Woman’s Club Bike Parade and Spring Fair, this year aptly named “Fantasy Island: Live Your Dreams.” The parade begins […]

Native Now to give ‘Reflections’ presentation March 23

On Monday, March 23, Lew Hastings, founder of the Native Now Foundation (and also our executive director at the Boca Grande Area Chamber of Commerce), will give a new lecture about his time on the Cheyenne River and other Indian Reservations in South Dakota. “Reflections on the Reservation” will include a Powerpoint presentation, and there […]

Get your pooch primped! It’s almost dog show time

The fur will be flying on Saturday, March 28, at the Boca Grande Community Center, but don’t worry … it will be flying in a good way. Make sure your dog is entered into the Boca Grande Woman’s Club Dog Show, scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. No special certification is required for entry and […]

Scholarship deadline March 20 Have you filled out your application yet?

Don’t forget the Boca Grande Area Chamber of Commerce Scholarship applications are due March 20. Proof of enrollment must be submitted to the Chamber office for release of the scholarship funds. The Scholarship Committee will review all applications and recommend eligible students to the board of directors. Details of additional requirements and an application can […]

Celebrate World Water Day with us

Water. Every living thing needs it to survive. Almost 97 percent of the Earth’s water can be found in our oceans. Of the remaining 3 percent, nearly 70 percent is locked up in glaciers and icecaps. This means the water source that most of us know, rivers and lakes, accounts for less than one percent […]

Looking for a boat trip? Captiva Cruises has what you’re looking for

Captiva Cruises and our fine Florida State Park Rangers from the Gasparilla Island Administrative Office will present “Legends of Cayo Costa Cruise Program,” and a sunset picnic supper on Saturday, March 14, from 5 to 9 p.m. Passengers will enjoy a narrated tour through Pine Island Sound with commentary on the historic fish houses, history […]

Boca Grande app is here, brought to you by the Boca Beacon

The first complete phone application for Gasparilla Island has finally found its way onto the market. Aptly called “Boca Grande,” it gives information pertaining to all things Boca Grande. Shopping, dining, hotels, transportation and more are listed there. It is now available as a Google application and ready for download. All Android users can download […]